As the eleven members, who hoped to fish on this outing, huddled under car tailgates or umbrellas, which were being blown inside out – the only topic of conversation was the weather, or should I say, the bad weather. We had all been looking at various weather forecasts and the bottom line was it was going to stop raining at about 1200 hours but the wind was going to reach gale force by 1200 hours.
A prolonged discussion took place and the consensus was that going out could be dangerous when the very high winds arrived. Nine out of the eleven members attending voted that the outing should be cancelled. Two members chose to go out and try a day’s fishing – Trevor, who makes Captain Ahab look like a quitter, was one of them. Trevor and Alan report that they had a pleasant days fishing, the rain stopped at about 1100 o’clock and the wind never reached the gale force predicted. However, they did have gusts of about 25 MPH. Both caught fish – Trev. Had five and dropped two and Alan had two – it was good to see Alan fishing again.
The fishery staff understood and accepted the clubs safety concerns and agreed that if we chose not to fish on such a windy day – they would not request payment for the cancellation.
We were not the only ones who cancelled but the fishery’s understanding is appreciated.
This is the third time this year that we have had outings cancelled let’s hope that Carron on Saturday the 20th of April is better.
Editor’s note – what a difference a day makes. I was at Linlithgow the day previous – having got a shout that a Slavonian grebe had been spotted on the loch… for the first time ever! So, I went through to try to get some photos. It was a lovely day – mild with a very light southerly breeze! Perfect for buzzer fishing.